Are YouTube and Netflix impacting
your Office 365 experience?
Zscaler makes it easy to prioritize business-critical
applications over other traffic
The challenge of bandwidth control in a cloud world
Your applications are moving to the cloud and your internet traffic is growing — making it essential to prioritize business critical apps, like Office 365, over YouTube, live-streaming, and other traffic to ensure a fast user experience and fully realize the benefits of the cloud.
You may try to address these challenges by upgrading bandwidth before deploying Office 365. However, most organizations still face network challenges and user experience suffers, despite increasing bandwidth.
Source: TechValidate and Zscaler. “Challenges with Office 365 Deployment” Survey. Q1 2017.
reported problems related to bandwidth controls.
reported that personal and entertainment traffic is favored over Office 365.
reported they are unable to access business-critical applications including Office 365.
Traditional solutions are not enough
To route traffic locally and establish rules for bandwidth use, you can deploy next-generation firewalls or UTM appliances at each site. But this approach is expensive, difficult to manage, and your user experience still suffers. Appliances are just not designed for window resizing, and if there is a conflict, they drop processing some packets and stop streaming video.
UTM / Firewall appliance spread
- Deploying and managing appliances is complex and expensive
- Degraded performance leads to hardware upgrades
- Bandwidth prioritization leads to packet loss and negatively impacts user experience
- UTM and firewall appliances are not designed to model bandwidth
Zscaler Simplifies Bandwidth Control By Moving It To The Cloud
It's time to move your security and controls to the cloud. By implementing Zscaler Cloud Firewall and Bandwidth Control solutions, both integrated with Zscaler's cloud security platform, you can route traffic locally to the Internet, providing the same level of protection to all users, regardless of their location. location, and apply bandwidth management policies to prioritize critical business applications.
Transform with Zscaler
Prioritize business-critical applications
- Limit the impact of streaming media, file sharing, and social media on business apps
- Identify bandwidth constraints before they impede the user experience
- Align policies for all users to business needs, with granular rules by application class, location, and time
Better user experience
- Break out traffic locally for faster internet access
- Enable secure access to both business and personal applications
- Leverage window shaping and bandwidth throttling to avoid packet dropping and create a seamless user experience
Reduce costs and simplify IT
- Eliminate the need to purchase, deploy, and manage new hardware
- Reduce MPLS backhaul costs by offloading internet traffic via local breakoutsz
- Eliminate bottlenecks and WAN latency by enforcing policies in the cloud
- Maintain unmatched security in all locations
To gain fast, secure access to Zscaler Bandwidth Control, talk to Zscaler
Tailor bandwidth policies to align to business needs
With bandwidth control you can create and immediately implement granular policy. Typical bandwidth policies include limiting recreational traffic, such as streaming video, and giving business apps precedence over other traffic. With Zscaler, there are many more parameters you can use to define a policy. Here are a few examples:
Prioritize Office 365; guarantee 40%
Restrict YouTube streaming to 20%
Limit large downloads (such as MSFT 10, OSX updates)
Gain detailed bandwidth visibility
Office 365 now prevails, not YouTube. Before Zscaler, YouTube accounted for this customer’s largest consumption of bandwidth. With easy-to-use Zscaler bandwidth controls, the company was able to reserve 40 percent of its bandwidth specifically for Office 365, while capping YouTube, as shown in this bandwidth report.